It’s time to re-discover the original spiritual power of the Lord’s Prayer
How often do you say the Lord’s Prayer but it just comes out words? That’s not what Jesus had in mind when he gave us this prayer.
In today’s episode I share some fresh new ways to approach this prayer.
Six ways to pray the Lord’s Prayer
- Slow down already. Think about what each word and phrase really mean
- Rewrite the prayer in your own words
- Think about how big your “our” and “us” are in this prayer
- Thank God, instead of petitioning Him, for things as if they have already happened
- Say the prayer as if God is doing the talking
- If Jesus had just appointed you as one of his disciples, how would it affect the way you prayed?
Here’s a template you can download to write the prayer in your own words.
Bible References in Episode 8:
- Matthew 6:9-13
“Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.”
- II Corinthians 3:6
For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
- Matthew 10:7, 8
“And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.”
- Matthew 3:2
“…the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
- Micah 6:6, 8
“With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high?…
He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”
Hope you enjoy this episode. Please share with a friend. And let me know how you like to pray with the Lord’s Prayer in the comments below.
P.S. Click here to sign up for email notifications so you won’t miss a single podcast episode or blog post.